Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sei Sikambing, Medan

Sei Sikambing was where my Mom was brought up. And our house is basically 'on' the main road itself 'cause my Mom told me that the government took some of our space and turn it into the current main road when they expanded the old Sei Sikambing street. 

My late grandparents used to run a warung (which is more or less like a local coffee shop) back in the days but my Aunt and Uncle started selling goreng pisang (banana fritters) like 5 - 10 years before my grandma passed away, so now it's a full-time goreng pisang / daily-necessities store (they also sell stuff like candies, dish-washing sponge, detergents etc).

I had the chance to snap some of these shots when I sat in the store during the evenings.

 There're very few old-school rickshaws like this (above) now in Medan. The locals prefer the machine-rickshaw ('beca mesin' as the locals call it) which is run by a motorcycle instead of a bicycle. Sadly, we all know machine-rickshaws are not good for the environment, but at the same time they're very useful to save time, I suppose. 


The road was filled with these three main mode of transport; machine-rickshaws, angkot (the blue van) and motorcycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment