Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Minangkabau Wedding

Apparently my Mom is a Minangkabau, which is one of the ethnic groups in Indonesia. And as a traditional Minang family, we originated from Padang. But my grandparents moved to Medan and raised their family there instead. 
I still haven't got the chance to go to Padang and see our family members there (my parents had the chance to visit them a couple of years back though), but fortunately I got to meet them during my cousin's wedding in Medan last week. And lucky me, I had the chance to see a traditional Minangkabau wedding ceremony! 
(^ w ^)



Apparently in the Minang tradition, the women play a huge role in the family. So during the wedding, it is the mother who is responsible to bring the bride and groom into the household. The mother does this by tying a cloth (a batik in this case) around the couple and onto herself, and walking them through the family, into the groom's house. 






 I was just so amazed at how awesome that headpiece is! I can't imagine wearing that during a hot scorching day....


 The Koran recital by a guest Ustaz.




 Traditional dessert - Tapai Pulut Merah with....what was it called...Omplong or something....


The bride is of a Javanese ethnic group, but because my cousin (the groom) is a Minang, the ceremony held in our house is done in the traditional Minang way. But he showed me some of the photos of the ceremony done in the bride's house which was done in the traditional Javanese way - it was really interesting to see the similarities and differences of these two ethnic groups.  

No comments:

Post a Comment